Sunday, June 28, 2020

A new start

A very encouraging response from the instructor about my decision to look at the sketchbooks as an art form, rather than as a springboard to anything else. Today I decided to start working on improving my actual sketching, as well as my use of water colour paint.  The result was pathetic, and I'm not going to show you a picture.  But I did do some work with my exploration of printing as a technique for the sketch books.  I have cut out 5 "Lino" blocks, and made proof prints of them into the sketchbooks.  I also tried two different methods of mono-printing into the books, with mixed success.

The first picture is of a more familiar type of mono-printing, one that I've often used in my fiber work.  I spread paint on a small palette, and then made marks on it with various objects.  This palette was then picked up and placed paint-side down on the sketchbook page.  I'm very pleased with this, and can see using it in some form.  The other side is a different method of mono-printing, one, I'm not familiar with and one that didn't work worth a darn.  I've since done three more prints using this technique, and finally got a better, but not great result.

This second spread is a proof printing of one of the "lino" blocks, that of a decorative fish, on a prepared page..  I tried printing three times before re-loading the printing block.

The last picture is of the proof prints of several more new printing blocks.  As well, at the upper right, I made a print from two of items I had used to prepare the palette for the first picture above. I am pleased with everything on these pages.

No comments: