Wednesday, June 24, 2020

"Slugging along"

I used that phrase and then wondered if anyone other than my family would know what I mean.  Well, I see the job that is ahead of me and I'm progressing, albeit slowly, and with less enthusiasm than it maybe deserves.  I'm talking about my sketchbook course, of course.  Module three is all about different methods of creating prints, most of which I've done, in the past, and several that I've even taught. The exception is a method of mono-prints that I've seen, but never actually tried, although I've been using mono-printed fabric, the result of a different method, for years in my purses that sell well in gift shops. So I've created samples of these  print-making techniques (except the mono-prints), and even tried to add text to the samples.  All well and good.  But I'm not pleased with them, because they don't have the depth and pleasing design of the many samples the instructors have provided.  Then I have to remind myself that I'm here to learn, except I also have to ask if what new learning I've received is worth the ultimate cost of the workshop and the supplies that have proven necessary.  On the other hand, I have had a purpose and a goal during the over 3 months of social lock down I've just come through (--with more ahead).  The work has kept me busy, and I've been working with colour and craft, which always fills my heart with joy.  Still, has the result been worth the labour.  Not in my opinion.

How does what I've learned influence my future work?  I've learned that I need to improve my skill in using water colours.  I can see some future practice with creating paper collages. I can see a need to increase my skill with drawing. But--I also have to ask if increasing skill with more techniques is the answer, or if maybe the skill I lack is a basic ability to design.  Oh, I've read books on the principles of design, and studied colour theory.  I can analyze a design in a fibre piece, and articulate the principles used, and maybe how and why.

I will complete this module, and play with the exercises, but also spend some time determining whether I really want to put out the money for the last module.  Will doing so, really improve the quality of work in my sketchbooks?

No comments: