Thursday, May 13, 2021

Constant changes

 Well, the gallery was forced to close a week ago, and my show did come down, last Saturday.  I agree with the need for Public health orders, but have trouble keeping up emotionally.  Again, I try to keep creative by looking into the past and re-visiting techniques that have worked well for me "way back when".  The most recent technique is mono-printing fabric, and then using my own designed fabric to create a piece. Here is the most recent effort.

I used Seta-Color Fabric paint straight from the bottle onto a large piece of Plexi-glass, using more than one colour, at a time.  I spread it with a brayer (roller), and than laid PFD fabric pieces very gently into the paint, before using a clean brayer to push them firmly into it. Then I pulled the fabric carefully off, and hung it to dry.  This took about 24 hours.  It was then heat set with the iron.  Two of the pieces didn't quite work, colour-wise and were eliminated.  ( I have another project in mind for those)  Then the rest were cut randomly and improvisationally, before being stitched down, using a "sew-and-flip" technique.  The design layout is also improvisational, but is very loosely based on a "log Cabin" or "crazy patch" pattern. Instead of batting, I used a piece of black industrial felt.  I quite like working with this, as it behaves much better than batting for this technique.

Here are the pieces that were painted. 


And here is a close-up of the ones that were actually used in the piece.





Finally here is the finished top, prior to backing and binding.  All of this has been done since Saturday, which I think is an accomplishment, as I had to take the first version partially apart and re-make it, after a problem developed within the focal area.  the finished piece will be 21" by 27".


No comments: