Thursday, April 12, 2007

It Worked!!

After several months of pain and frustration, I think I've worked out a method of constructing a fabric box, that has minimal impact on my poor, arthritic hand and wrists. This is very important to me, as I have been making boxes for years, derive great pleasure from it, and was so very sad at not being able to sew them together. I have taken box making from an excellent teacher, and read many books about many different methods. So my method is an amalgam of all of my reading and experience over almost 40 years. I am now going to set this up as a class, including hand outs, and will post pictures as I get them. The next step is to make a box using a different pattern to the one I've experimented on. I need to prove the method works! I have actually been asked to teach box making, and had deferred answering until I was sure that I could handle the physical work. Now that I know I can do it, I can accept the offer( the shopowner knows what I've been doing), and get to work. I'm very, very excited. I also have plans to enter a box made with this method into a fine art competition. That will be an interesting experiment!

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

Can't wait to see your finished products. Are these strictly done by hand? My sewing machine is my best friend to piece things since my hands don't handle stuff weel