Friday, June 1, 2007



Here is a picture of my piece titled "Tree of Peace". I named it after many people told me that they had a sense of peace after looking at it. I entered it in the Winnipeg Embroiderers' Guild Members Show in February 2008, where it won the Eleanor Thomas Award for members choice-- Best of Show. I was then encouraged to send it off the the Embroiderers' Association of Canada Annual Members Show in St. John's Newfoundland in May of 2008. I was very pleased when it was awarded second place in the Leonida Leatherdale Award for Members Choice Best of Show. It is on silk, and I first put down a piece of hand made silk paper, which I had cut into four pieces. I'm told that this gives an appearance of mountains. Then I put down three arches of gold mesh and couched Japanese Gold around the edges of them. The tree itself, is done with chain stitch and outline stitch using five different skeins of overdyed silk thread to provide the contours. I'm always surprised at what you can do with simple stitches.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

Wow wow wow, isn't that just gorgeous.