Saturday, December 10, 2011

Latest effort

Part of my self development indicated a study of texture.  While a lighter colour is necessary for this type of work, I chose grey rather than the white or beige most people would look at--what can I say, I'm a maverick.  The full piece is 12" by 12".  The fabric is cotton, Duipionni silk and organza.  The ribbons are cotton and polyester.  The entire piece is densely quilted with twisted silk. Unfortunately the silk thread matches the fabric so closely that the quilting is difficult to see in the photo.  (And, yes, those are heart-shaped yo-yo's! lol)  I love working in this size, and format, and have found that my poor hands can handle this much hand quilting and not much more, so I'm able to use that technique, despite not having been able to do it for years.  Between this piece and the Shaded Grapes from a previous  post, I had wondered if I had found something I could put into show stock.  I got quite excited about the idea, and started to plan third piece, but then realized that I was trying to force a design--exactly what I had said I wouldn't do. So, if the designs come--great, and if they don't--so be it.



No comments: