Friday, December 2, 2011

Shaded Grapes


This is my response to the Fast Friday Fabric challenge #63.  The challenge was to produce something that demonstrated high contrast with the use of colour--no black and white allowed.  I further challenged myself to only use what I had on hand--no special fabric preparation and no purchasing.  To that end, I chose to use my favourite Low Water Immersion (LWI) dyed cotton Damask.  The background is a LWI-dyed muslin ( I think that time I was trying for black and ended up with the lovliest deep smokey blue)  The cotton Damask dyes beautifully, and the fabric ends up with a "glow" that I've never seen with any other fabric.  I think it must be caused by the overshot satin threads of the weave.  I was quite happy with it, until I saw the pictures and realized how much the two light purple grapes stand out.  But that can happen in a real bunch of grapes as well, so it won't be changed.

I had hoped that the natural shading of the fabric would work to shade the grapes,but it wasn't quite enough, so there is a little coloured pencil in there.  This is also my first finished  contribution to my latest 12" by 12" series.

No comments: