Tuesday, July 17, 2012

More Dyeing

Part of the class work involves creating small samples of the various dyes, by dropping a small amount of dye powder ( a very small amount) and them spritzing it with a bit of moisture.  If you do it right, those dye colours that are created by mixing pure dye colours, will split, and you can see the various component colours. After doing this I saw a couple of mixed colours that I wanted to try.  One was a very strange colour that had been labelled burgundy, but showed almost no red when it split.  I created a flag fold piece with grey ( it didn't split) and then overdyed it with this strange burgundy. 
There was a second piece that had been originally dyed with sky blue, then overdyed with fuschia, then navy, and finally yellow.  I'm not thrilled with this, but it shows that four separate dye baths may be feasible. It also shows the lines where the bundle had been originally tied, which I think is neat.
More and more fun!  But now DH is asking what I'm going to do with all of this fabric I've created. I checked supplies and realized that I've been through about 10 meters, so far.

No comments: