Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sale weekend

Last weekend was my first art sale in almost two years, and quite successful.  My booth location was good, and there was enough room to display everything nicely.  Because I like to display a range of pieces, I took one major piece with me, with a price tag to match.  I know my "bread and butter" is in smaller pieces  with price tags below $20.00, but this was an art show, not a craft show, so I wanted to have "art-y" things.   Within the first hour, I could have sold that piece three times, with no dickering over price. It went to a good home, someone I know, who has bought my work before.  The next day, I took another major piece to replace it in the display.  That sold, as well, although I had discounted the price, before taking it out.  I was still pleased with the price I got. I also sold three of my framed pieces.  Overall, it was one of the best sales I've ever had.  But no-one showed any interest at all in my two Shibori pieces.

The Thursday before, I judged quilts a a local agricultural fair. I worked steadily from 8:45 am until 9:00pm with a half hour for lunch, in a Quonset-type curling rink without A/C, and with a concrete floor, in +30 heat. This was a very interesting experience.  Such a variety of skill levels and types of work!  I could tell when I was judging a quilt belonging to someone  known to the volunteers present, as they would all subtly gather around to hear what I would say, although no-one ever gave away whose quilt it might be.  Nor did they make any comments on what I said, until after all of the judging was over.  Then a couple of them challenged me on my decisions.  Thank Goodness, I was able to explain to their satisfaction, more of less.  Overall I can see how such events can prove an excellent learning situation.

Knowing what an exhausting weekend it was going to be, I had put off several projects, and now deadlines loom.

No comments: