Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sometimes quilts talk

The first shibori piece worked out very well, and I'm quite pleased.  The second piece came together beautifully, and was sandwiched quickly.  Then it refused to allow me to hand quilt.  I had dyed thread to match and was ready to go, but it demanded that I machine quilt it.  I even found a spool of thread by the machine that matches beautifully, and I'm sure I didn't put it there!  So the machine quilting is almost done and this piece works quite well and pleases me.   I have dyed fabric for a third and last shibori piece and have it all up on the design wall, but the individual pieces don't seem to want to play nicely together.  I think the problem is too little value difference between them.  I first used Sky Blue Procion dye and then overdyed with Fuschia.  The Fuschia was probably been too strong for the lighter Sky Blue.  There is one piece that was first dyed with Navy and the Fuschia looks quite good, but there is a stronger value change between the two colours.

This all makes me ask myself why I think I need a third, finished piece.  I have a lot of scraps of shibori fabric that could be worked nicely into some sort of "scrappy" quilt, and putting the blue/fuschia pieces in there would give it a focal colour.  Hm-m-m.  Have to think about that

No comments: