Sunday, July 15, 2012

new venture

Yesterday, I signed up for an on-line Craftsy class with Jane Dunnewold on Fabric Dyeing, then spent most of the afternoon and evening watching lessons and dyeing fabric, ( since I already had most of the supplies).  I was thrilled to find out that I didn't really need triangular pieces of plexiglass to create a triangular dyed pattern.  So here is a picture of what I accomplished and close-ups of the individual pieces.

The upper two pieces were from the last batch I did with the Sky Blue and Fuschia.  They really needed something, and I think this may be the first step.  I had said I might do the one on the upper right, again, with flour paste resist and create a dark crackle pattern, and now I think I might do that with both of them.  I absolutely love the one on the bottom left.  I pleated the fabric two ways and then clamped it between two large metal washers.  I tied it, as rubber bands don't work well with circles, and even got some evidence of the strings in the dyed pattern.  I tend to like that, as it confirms that it was created by hand.

The last piece was simply pleated one way, then rolled the other way, and then secured ( tightly!) with a rubber band.  This, too, shows the hand of the maker through the pattern left by the rubber bands.
My next step ( should have been the first one) will be to create small samples of all of the dyes I currently have available for me.  However, I will have family visiting over the next couple of weeks, and may not get much more done during that time.  But, since my sister has promised to bring her camera, I should be able to post a picture of anything I accomplish.

No comments: