Saturday, November 16, 2013

Calmed down for now

My Ravenesque ladies were over last Monday, and agreed that the piece I last spoke about needed to be modified in some way.  That's not to say they all agreed on how it was to be modified.  Generally, the beads have to go, and probably the purple strips as well.  This brings us down to the background dyed fabric, which is my favourite part of the piece.  So I will see what I can do.  It will be a major hassled to get those things off, as the strips are fused and then satin stitched, and the cabochons are glued before being stitched in place. It may not be possible, but I have a secret weapon--another half yard of the dyed fabric.  I could maybe re-create the piece and no-one would ever know.  I read on the internet that a piece inspired by glass balls, created by a famous glass maker -and shown with the balls in a gondola, won a prize at Houston.  Then this week, an artist, whom I admire, showed me a piece she had done with background covered in coloured and shaded bubbles, and her grand-daughter climbing in the bubbles.--very, very effective.  So I bought a piece of dark purple cotton and want to try making bubbles by discharging the dye.  If this works, I may try an array of bubbles over the dyed fabric background.  If this can be done, I think the shape of the bubbles will nicely echo the shape of the pearls in the background quilting.

But I am no longer in a panic over creating more pieces for my gallery show.  When I was so discouraged, DH and I went through my available stock and identified thirty pieces that would be suitable for the show.  I have now mailed a master list of those pieces to the venue, as required, and DH and I have spent the last two days making sure that each piece has the necessary dowel and chain, for hanging.  Other than some paper work, I think I'm ready for the show.

Today, I relaxed and worked on a couple of charity quilts.  It was a welcome change to spend an afternoon in somewhat mindless work.

No comments: