Saturday, November 9, 2013

Not a good day--so we are having a bit of a "wake"

In all of my frenzy of activity for the upcoming gallery show, I have had one general focus--to finish as much as I can and then get to work on what I had hoped would be the main piece of the show.  I have a wonderful hand dyed fabric, which has been FMQ'd.  I have spent the last few months collecting just the right beads to stitch on, and bought the three cabochons that I had hoped would create the focal point of the beading. As of this week I  was ready to start the hand work.  Well, it just isn't working.  I asked DH for an opinion, and he was very, very carefully neutral about it--always a bad sign.

I have to consider that I am not really feeling very good today--aches and pains and not much sleep.   That's always a factor in my work, and must be considered.  But, I've learned over the years to pay attention to this sort of "oh oh" feeling, and now think I must send this to the "crap quota" file.  A sad time, lots of regrets, and not a few tears.
Here is the overall piece.  The plan was to have a swath of beads from just below the horizontal applique, curving around and up the side to just inside the top of the vertical appliques.  The problem, as I see it, is that the beads, that I've spent so very much money on, are just not right for the fabric.
  Here is a close-up of the beading done so far.  My husband says that part of the problem is that the cabochons are maybe too big for the piece.
and here are all of the beads that I had selected for possible use in the piece.  All of the stacking jars are full of beads, and the "bead soup" spread out on the table weighs about 3 pounds, or represents about $150.00 worth of beads.  The round tin on the right is full of lightly polished amethyst chip beads, that I bought a couple of years ago and saved for a special project.


As is my custom when I'm unhappy and frustrated, I started to tidy up.  In this case it meant sorting through my entire bead cupboard, and re-arranging things so that all of the new beads fit--somehow.  It took a lot of energy, and a  few more tears, but it is done, and I have pile of "stuff" to give away when my Ravenesque ladies come for the day on Monday.

No comments: