Sunday, December 28, 2014

And what about the others pieces you ask?

The two other pieces I've been talking about are coming along nicely.  I badly over-estimated the number of hexies I would need for my knitting bag.  I elected to use a circular construction methodinstead of a line by line method. and am now on my fourth round.  Each round adds about 3 1/2 inches in width, and a little less in length.  I am aiming at 18 " square, and had 11 1/2' after the third round.  I have used less than 1/4 of the hexies that I basted up.  The colours are blending together quite well, and as I planned.  There is a tiny gold safety pin in the very first center hexie.


 I am taking out the papers as each round is covered by the next round.  Here is a view of the back


Here is the Pain piece with all of hte quilting done and ready for binding.  I still have to add the tiny black arrows at thepoint of the red triangles that are on top of red/yellow fabric.  I couldn't do that before it was quilted.

here is a close up of the quilting.  I chose "McTavishing" for my quilting pattern as I felt he swirls would reflect the confusion and distraction I associate with pain.  I am also re-considering the title.  I no longer believe that pain can be controlled.  All you can do is cage it.  So the title has become "Caging the Pain"

This piece has brought something home to me.  I have suspected that my skills have deteriorated ove the last year, and my work here really shows it, especially my Free Motion work.  I will never exhibit or display this piece, it will  remain in my private collection ( doesn't that sound "snooty"?).  But the actual making of it has become an awakening to me.  I have more ideas, and a sense of direction



1 comment:

Roxi H said...

I love your pain piece. I'm always tempted to back to art quilting when I see such fabulous work.