Sunday, December 28, 2014

What am I up to

In sorting out things because of a new shelving unit beign added to my studio, I came across my Shibori basket.  I have been invited to a fabric painting and dyeing day in mid-January, and thought it might be nice to take along a couple of recent pieces of Shibori.
I am a fan of using more than one dye bath for Shibori.  That is how I was taught, and the effect can sometimes be quite stunning.  I see everyone of my finished pieces being unique a special--I have no intention of ever trying to duplicate them, so am quite prepared for a fair bit of serendipity. I often start with low water immersion, using two colours, and aiming for a fairly either bright or pastel result.  Some of my pieces of routine low water immersion dyeing end up being put into the Shibori basket.  The following started out this way using fairly light Golden Yellow and Fuchsia Procion MX dye.  I then used an Itajime technique using four 4' square ceramic tiles.  The fabric was carefully folded and the folds ironed in place.  I tied the bundle, as this is the traditional way it is done, and evidence of the ties is often sought as proof of traditional Shibore technique.  But to compensate for my very weak hand strength, I also used a clamp.  My Bad!
Here is an overall view from my design wall.
The detail I was able to get floored me.  This close-up not only shows the colours well but if you look closely you can even see the lines from the back of the ceramic tile!


And lastly, a scetion from closer to the center of the piece.  Yes the lines from the ties show, the colours have blended beautifully.  My DH says it is the nicest piece of dyeing I have done.  I am well pleased.
Now, normally when I use Shibori pieces, in wall hangings, they are cut up and re-pieced, but I am thinking this one should remain as a whole-cloth piece.


No comments: