Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Sewing machines

Well, my machine needs servicing yet again.  While it is working today, sort of,  we have been waiting on parts from the last time it was in, and now there is a new problem.  The wretched thing is only 4 1/2 years old, and while the dealer isn't using the word "lemon", we are.

I expect a lot from my machines, but take care of them, and have problems fixed asap.  When I buy a machine, I try to look for a "workhorse", not a show horse, and try not to be seduced by fancy gadgets I'll never use.  On the other hand, I'm willing to pay for gadgets that I do use, such as the cone holder I have attached to this one.  I have looked at the next model up, and am right pissed off that none of the gadgets and attachments I bought for this one will fit--same manufacturer, supposedly same model.

So what else is available within the community?  We have three dealers in the city.  Living on a pension, I know that I can't afford a Bernina--period.  So that leaves two more dealers, and when it comes to product within my price range, there isn't really much difference in the various options available.  So the service side of the business becomes part of the decision making process.  IMHO this brings it down to the question of whether I would rather deal with someone whom I believe really doesn't give a "tinker's damn" about me or my machine once my cheque is deposited, or a chauvinist who will only discuss the machine with my husband, and thinks my distress at having the machine in the shop for 4 months is a joke.

Well, I guess I'm going to talk to both of them.  The machine I had previous to this one, is still around, after 11 years, and provides faithful service when the newer machine is down.  It lacks some features that I have come to rely on, and that I miss terribly.  The chauvinist can be considered approachable. as long as my husband is with me--as he usually is.  By letting the two of them talk, I have sometimes received pretty good service.

Not how I expected to spend the next week.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Pat
How about trying one of the out of town dealers. The quilt store in Morden is a dealer and their fixit guy is really good - or so my SIL and her friends say. Faye's Fabric Villa in Steinbach also is a dealer. I haven't tried their fix-it yet but have met the husbands of the owner(s) and I would feel confident in giving them a try. Hopefully see you at the meeting on the 17th. Jean

Jean said...

Forgot to say that I went with 'She who does not care". I have had one machine for 10 years and had no problem, the other one is 3 years old and have had no problems. At male chauvenist's shop, I did have stars in my eyes over a machine there, but didn't bite as every time I go there, the service is terrible, Mrs. Chauvenist is not friendly at all - always looks horribly stressed and when hearing him on the phone with customers, am not impressed. If you do buy from "She who doesn't care, it could be serviced in Morden. I go down to seen the grands often so could drop it off for you.