Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Still thinking about "Constraint"

A fibre art support group has issued a challenge to create a piece using "line" as the principal design element.  At the same time I created two Shibori pieces that were a disappointment--quite pale with very little value contrast, but beautiful in their own way.   Why not combine both challenges in one piece? This could also be my first piece applying the emphasis on constraint.  As part of the design process I got out my favourite "navel gazing" book,  :The Book of Runes" by Ralph H. Blum.  Now this is a book that uses Runes to focus on self exploration and discovery: in no way are we talking about witchcraft or predicting the future.  It is a book that I have frequently found useful in my design work. The section on "Constraint" is too long to reproduce, but talks about the necessity of holding back, of the need to re-consider plans, and the need to make sure that you are prepared --that is have everything ready, before going forward with your plan.  Having everything ready includes your own skill set--exactly what has been my recent concern.

So off I went to plan my piece.  I drafted a pattern--not my usual way of working. I cut out each pattern piece carefully and made sure everything fit before proceeding.  I even carefully measured my limited fabric before cutting.

And here it is, ready for machine quilting, even if it is sideways.  The right side is actually the bottom.  I guess I should have worked on my computer skills as well.  I have no idea how to fix this, but you can see the design.  I'm hoping that by enlarging the picture you wil  be able to see the markings for quilting, which will be done in a matching light blue thread.  The orange was a very small piece of Shibori that I consider one of the best I ever made. This piece will quite likely end up as part of my "crap quota", but that's okay


1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

Pat, I enjoyed browsing/reading your blog and really like "Constraint." Before I saw that the right side was bottom, I had decided I thought the LEFT side was bottom. What a delightful problem to have--it works both ways. I'll watch for pictures when you get your computer back.