Sunday, January 10, 2016

Deadlines

I've decided that my focus for the year will be to trudge along and not to accept or sweat any deadlines.  A "cop out"?  Maybe, but it's what I need at this point in time.

So, I'm going to take the re-vamping of my Machine Quilting class slow and easy, but am going to start the process now, so as to have lots of time, and not end up with a panic over a deadline.  The first steps will involve lots of computer work.  Now I know that I'll go crazy without some time at the machine, so I'm going to allow myself to finish up the few current projects that are "bugging" me. But there will be no sewing after the evening meal!  Evenings will be reserved for time at the computer--and it won't be times spent on silly games!  Yes, My sister got me hooked on Candy Crush over the holidays. (Oh, I'm so embarrassed!)

One of the current projects was a charity quilt.  While cleaning out the storeroom, I found a box with about 45 4" squares that had been appliqued with a 2 1/2" squares.  I figured that 100 such squares would make a more than adequate child's quilt.  The original squares had been left over after a class several years ago given by fibre artist Iris Roundtree ( best known for her ecclesiastical work).  It was a technique class that taught us to layer the four inch squares with batting and backing, and then machine applique the smaller square on top.  Next, some of these squares were cut at various angles and the resulting triangles mixed and matched.  Then the triangles were re-assembled into squares by butting the edges together and sewing the seam with a wide satin stitch.  The unique thing about this is that the squares didn't need to be sewn together in neat rows, but could be put together in almost any configuration involving right angle corners.  

Well, I wasn't going to go that far!  But DH had been asking what I was going to do with all of the hexies that I had put together out of my scrap bin, so I simply appliqued a hexie onto each square.  Then put the squares together by butting the edges and using the wide satin stitch. Sure used a lot of thread!

Here are some of my individual squares ready to putting together. and the finished quilt ready for binding.  I quite like it, but was a little dismayed by the poor manner in which my machine did the wide satin stitch, so while I love the look of it, it will remain a charity quilt.



No comments: