Monday, January 4, 2016

What to do, what to do?

This is the time of year that one hears of artists selecting a word or phrase to use as a guiding principle for their work, over the next year. This isn't an easy process for me.  Two pieces, that have been in a travelling show for the last two years, were returned to me today, and I realized that it's been more than those two years since I have entered anything in a fibre-related show. But, I really have little to show for those two years, most of which was spent recovering from various surgeries.  And my forced stash reduction activities continue to deserve a degree of priority

 Looking toward the future, my next potential show entry is more than a year away.While this means that I don't have to force my creativity, it also means that I could get away with creative laziness, should I choose.  I'm anxious to do some more work with the dyed mandalas, but shows usually have size restrictions and themes, and these concepts are not really compatible with the idea of a square, abstract mandala. A further concern is that I'm committed to teaching this spring, and want to re-vamp my class to include some of the work I've done since it was last taught. 

So, I need to find a focus for my work, but that process will have to take place prior to finding a word to guide whatever focus I come up with. ( Oh My! Confusion you say! Maybe I just need a good night's sleep!  LOL)

While this is going on, I continue to work on my charity quilts.  An opportunity to deliver them comes up in a couple of weeks, and there are two more to finish by then.

No comments: