Tuesday, May 17, 2016

More dyeing

There have been a couple more ice dye batches this week, and, unfortunately, I'm very disappointed with the results.  Several friends had suggested that I try using less dye, as my pieces were very dark and there was a lot of dye left over in the bath.  So I made a point of using less dye, hoping for a slightly more pastel result.  The strategy was successful, but the pieces just don't work IMHO.





The one above really bothers me, and I think I might find it difficult to work with.  It just seems so "washed out".  But the upper right corner does interest me with the delicate almost-floral motifs, shown below.  I'm thinking of cutting it down, and seeing if I could produce a smaller piece that would be satisfying.


The piece below does appeal to me, probably because it is back to my preferred darker colour scheme.  I also think the colour changes within it are sharper and more pronounced, and that's a good thing too.  Again, some of the smaller motifs within the piece attract my eye. 



The piece below was in the same dye bath as the one above, but positioned in the opposite direction, prior to adding the ice and dye. I'm fond of this one too, but not sure what I might do with it.

This last piece may just have to be labeled a failure  I have no idea what to do with it.  Have to think about that some more.

I will try to link this with The Needle and Thread Network.


3 comments:

Laurel's Stitches said...


I quite like ALL of your pieces, although I have no suggestions about how to use them.

I am amazed at the detail you have in each one. Please do not discard any as failures. Perhaps they are much like naughty children who need a little extra attention until they turn out just right.

Thank you for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday.

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

These pieces take a fair bit of time to make, and I'm easily frustrated when they don't turn out as I visualize them. But not being happy just means an excuse to make more! It took me over a year and a whole lot of fabric before I could bring myself to cut them down to a smaller size. Once I allowed myself to do so a whole lot of possibilities came to mind. Thank you for your comment and the implied support.
Pat F in Winnipeg

Laura McGrath said...

I like them all! I would free motion quilt them as a wholecloth, especially the ones you aren't happiest with. Isn't dyeing great? It's finally warming up enough where I live so I can get some dyeing done, too.