Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Background done!

The basic background of the piece inspired by the words "fragile, fragmented, and fractured" is done.  The light blue-ish  pieces were all cut from one piece of my hand dyed fabric, but the navy is commercial fabric.  I've never found a navy dye that gives me the rich colour I prefer for some projects. To get the image and mood I wanted, I had to go right back to basic techniques and drafted my pattern pieces and then cut them, by hand, with scissors!  Been a long time since I used that method.  Then I folded back the 1/4" seam allowances, pressed them in place, butted the edges of two adjacent pieces, and stitched them down with a very narrow zig-zag, using a mono-poly thread. Here is the work in progress.



 And here are the rest of the pieces waiting their turn to be processed.

 The navy was, again, done from a hand-drawn pattern and cut by hand, from fabric that already had the fusible applied to one side.  Positioning this large irregular piece was tricky, and in the end, I pulled out my small hand held Clover iron.  I rarely use this, but when it's needed it sure is useful.   I haven't yet decided if this is the right way up or if I prefer the right side to be the bottom.  That decision can wait awhile.



The next step will be a heck of a lot of machine work.  Every raw edge of navy will be stitched down with a narrow zig-zag, and the seam lines extended with navy, to the edge.  Then I plan to use FMQ'g to add some small fracture lines within the pale blue, and roughen-up the edges of the navy.  I've titled it "Shattered Dreams"

I plan to link this post with The Needle and Thread Network, and Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Fridays.