Friday, November 3, 2017

Waiting

I have several projects on the go, but have reached a point of waiting--for supplies, mainly, but also for enough free time, to actually get something done.  There are a couple of tv shows I like to watch, spending, at most about 2 hours in a day, one of which is dedicated to the news.  When I'm in front of the tv, I like to do a bit of hand stitching.  This is how I managed to baste the thousands of hexies that I have sewn together, and have stored in very large Zip-Loc bags in my closet. But now that I've vowed to never baste hexies again, I needed a hand stitching project.  At the same time, I allocate a few minutes every day to sort and cull the stash of quilting, embroidery and mixed media supplies that have accumulated in my life over the past 60 years. Wednesday, with my husbands help we ended up with two green garbage bags for the thrift store and one very full  bag for garbage.  In all of this I found a little beginner-type, inexpensive cross stitch embroidery kit.  Since it had been opened, and the first basic preparation steps taken, I decided to take a look at finishing it while I watched tv over the next few days.

Now, you must understand that I've been a dedicated embroiderer for many years--active in associations, and exhibiting my work all across the country. This petered out about 8 years ago when the arthritis in my hands made its presence known.  But the ability to do cross stitch remained, as that's basically a non-resistance exercise, and my pain is almost negligible when doing it.  I know embroidery, having taught most types of it, and having worked as a needlework finisher for many years.  But- you'd think I had never touched a needle before with this stupid little Christmas decoration!  I worked a bit last evening, and then this morning, then took that out, took it off the frame and started from scratch.  Then this afternoon, did more ripping out than actual sewing.  Does this mean you can't go back?  Not really, as I quickly got my two handed stitching technique back.  Thank Goodness!  But some very basic steps and routines have had to be learned over again.

But maybe life is built on challenges.  Or maybe I need to think so right now.

No comments: