Sunday, March 25, 2018

Practising

While refining the designs for the next couple of projects, I knew I needed to practice my FMQ'g.  This is just a basic part of maintaining a skill.  At a recent LQG meeting I picked up a pre-printed panel intended for making a cushion, off the "touch'n'take table"-one of those things you used to be able to buy at the old fashioned 5 and 10 cent stores.  It is quite old, and I have no idea who the designer might have been.  It is  about 17 " square.  I drafted a pattern turning the single design into a larger 4 patch-type design.


Over the past week, I've turned this into a small whole cloth quilted hanging, all done  with FMQ'g.  As it was for practice, I didn't worry too much about things that weren't quite perfect-fair warning!

Here is the finished hanging, waiting for binding.  I used Superior So Fine in white, for the background areas and Superior Fantastico, 5024, for the flowers and leaves. It finished at about 32" square.



And here are close-ups.




 I had particularly wanted to practice using a combination of circles and matchstick quilting in the background areas, and in the technical aspects of creating a woven grid.





I plan to link this with Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday, and The Needle and Thread Network.


No comments: