Thursday, July 26, 2018

Thimbles

There has been so much in the way of hand stitching in my life, over the years, that finding the correct size thimble, has frequently been a problem. My hands are small, and very small thimbles are rare.  Those labelled small, are usually a little too big. Many years ago (plus or minus 40 years ago)  I found one that fit, in an antique show at a local mall.  I used it to the point that it bent to take on the contour of my finger.  It was used to the extent that it developed a hole, through the metal end.  I took it to a jeweler who patched the hole for more than I had originally paid for the thimble.  A few years later another hole developed, and I took it to a different jeweler, who told me that it was gold (!), and probably dated from the 1840's.  Also that it was brittle from use and time, and there wasn't much point in patching it, as the problem would continue.  He was right.  There are now two more holes, and it is very difficult to use.  I grieve a bit, as it was a faithful part of my life for many years.

About 25 years ago, I found another thimble that sort of fit, at a trade show in North Dakota.  It was steel and manufactured in England. Despite the price, I bought it as a spare to the gold thimble, but still preferred to use the gold one.  Over the years I lost track of where I kept it, but would stumble upon it from time to time. I found it again recently and gladly started using it.  Then one day I couldn't find it and both my husband and I figured it had fallen off my work table into the garbage basket, and had been put out in the garbage the previous day.  I continued to struggle with the gold thimble.

About a week ago, I considered taking on the finishing job for a piece of fine needlework, something I used to do for hire in the past.  I knew a good thimble would be the make or break of my decision. I found one, quite by accident on the internet, and bought it--in size XS.  Yes, it was very  expensive both in price, and added exchange and shipping.  It arrived today.  It's just a bit too small.  Arg-g-g--h!

But--this is so important to me, that I'm considering ordering another one in the next larger size.  

No comments: