Friday, September 21, 2018

Decision time

Today I was asked to submit a proposal for teaching at an upcoming quilting weekend.  This could be perceived as an honour. They specifically asked for something unusual, as the event has been going on for several years, and most traditional activities have been covered. 

This Guild tends to be very project driven in their workshops, rather than concentrating on the learning of a technique. Doing this would mean thinking up a concept for the class, and then doing all the research, making samples, and writing hand outs.  Then drafting a proposal. As this is only a proposal, the class may not run, and the work would be for nothing.  Even if the class is offered, poor enrollment would mean that the class would not run, and I would be stuck with the expense of any kits prepared.  Nor would I be compensated for my time. I believe that the actual payment for teaching would be about $200, plus the actual cost for any kits provided. (Traditional quilt guilds are notoriously cheap.)

 I have pretty well stopped teaching, after doing it for almost 40 years, and accept that I'm at the end of my teaching career. I think I've decided that I don't want to do it.  

No comments: