Sunday, September 23, 2018

More purging

Today I tackled my "Box of Tricks".  This is a big plastic tub in which I've stored anything I buy or make for mixed media work.  It was full to overflowing.  I also had a couple of smaller plastic project boxes that hadn't been cleaned out since their projects were either finished or scrapped. There was also a boot box of ribbon and a smaller plastic tub of ribbon, as well as two full, ribbon-filled, plastic grocery bags. I ended up with the equivalent of  a one and a half-full green garbage bags for the thrift store, and a half -full bag of garbage.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but it represents 4 1/2 hours of steady work.

Doing the work gave me lots of time to think. I thought about how much money the stuff represented.  It had been purchased over 30-40 years, in mainly smaller purchases, but when added together, the total was frightening.  A lot of the stuff had been leftover from previous projects.  So I both remembered those projects, and mourned the memories.  This was a sad day.  Not only am I grieving over the loss, I'm also being forced to accept that  I will not live long enough to use the stuff.  I don't have that many years left.

So a lot of battling emotions: relief at getting the job done and getting the stuff out of the house, and sadness at the need to do so.

No comments: