Sunday, December 23, 2018

A few busy days

Made a small batch of paper.  It turned out that the hardest thing to gather was enough old newspaper to soak up the excess water.  Most of the flyers we've been getting were to oddly shaped to be useful.  My results weren't great, but I did get 6 pieces that may have some potential for use in Mixed Media.  I learned a lot.  My metallic mesh was too light, and this made it difficult to control.  I have now layered two pieces together, and sealed the edges with Duct tape.  My hands are still covered with small cuts from trying to control the mesh.  


There wasn't nearly enough pulp emulsion.  This meant that it was very difficult to get enough pulp onto the mesh, made more difficult by the mesh bending with any weight, and causing the pulp to move, and gather in lumps.  Obviously, pulling the mesh through the pulp is a learned skill!  One that needs practice!

But what I have is well coloured, and the bits of green tea I added to the emulsion, worked very well.  The lacey bits around the edges intrigue me, and I know I'm going to try to make them a feature of any Mixed Media pieces I do.


The blue snowflake piece is also finished.  I really struggled with a title and settled on "Gentle Snowfall".  This picture doesn't show detail well.


Here are a couple of close-ups.



But now, I'm all caught up with the studio work.  Not sure what to do with myself over the next little while, until I come up with a new challenge.

No comments: