Monday, December 17, 2018

Preparing for a new venture


Recently, I watched a video on Design Matters tv on Paper making and waxing. ( www.designmatterstv.com/introduction-to-papermaking/  and www.designmatterstv.com/waxing-papers/ ) This intrigues me, and I've decided to give it a try.  Before that can happen, I needed to acquire all the necessary supplies.

Having decided that the wire mesh was probably the most difficult of the supplies needed for the paper making, today's outing was a search for that.  The lady in the video said that what she used had been found in a auto repair supply store, so that's how we started.  Visited four of those without any luck, but at the last one the fellow recommended Artists' Emporium, or Micheal's.  That didn't compute for either me or my husband, but since we were just a block from Artists' Emporium, we dropped in and asked.  Yep, they had something.  Checked it out--1/16" metallic mesh- 3 big sheets for under $20.  Evidently it is used on armatures for creating three dimensional masks and sculptures.  Who knew?!  Then it was a search for a second hand electric frying pan, and involved visiting a couple of large thrift stores.  Neither Value Village nor Mennonite Central Committee had any, nor did they have anything the least bit similar, which made me wonder if they don't sell such things for some reason.

Discussing possible alternatives, we remembered that we had an old electric grill, that hadn't been used in years.  Sure enough we found it ( Actually he knew where it was, it just involved a lot of digging).  Given the way the lady used the bee's wax, I think it should work well. But, he couldn't find any J-Cloths, on a trip to Giant Tiger.  I never for a minute thought that they would be the problem.

Here's everything we have so far.




As you can see, I've even started tearing up paper.  The funny shapes in the bottom left hand corner, are molded pieces of bee's wax, that I've had for years. I used chocolate molds to create them, as  I used to include a small piece in any kits I put together for classes that involved had stitching. As it was suggested that we be sure to include coloured paper, and not all white, DH brought in some torn off each of the three big rolls hidden in the garage.

Not sure when I might actually get to work, but, while we wait for Christmas, it keeps us busy and off the streets.

No comments: