Friday, February 8, 2019

Attempting to grow as an artist

Over the past few months, I've been attempting to get out of the rut my art had fallen into.  In December, I bought a one month subscription to Design Matters TV and watched every video they had, especially those providing information on sketchbooks.   Sketchbooks is a topic I have casually explored over the past few years--how and why artists use sketch books.   Over the years, I confess that I got lost in the development of art journals, and spent many hours actually asking myself why anyone would make an art journal and how it would benefit them as artists. But, I took workshops on sketching, so that I could, at least, know how to sketch once I figured out the "why".  I read articles and books on exactly how to make an art journal, looking for the right way- exactly how are sketch books and art journals supposed to be done.  Somehow I could never figure it out.

Meanwhile, I have gradually, over the years built up quite a collection of empty books into which I have collected photos and notes on how I might use them, drafts of some designs that I might use, fabric samples of various techniques that I have been thinking about using in specific designs,etc.  Nothing with any meaningful sketches though. 

Of course, there are many small, empty books with sketches attempted on the first few pages and then abandoned.


Over the past week I have been casually looking through the small personal library I have of fibre art related books.  I came across an older book I have bought years ago--"Creating Sketchbooks for Embroiderers and Textile Artists" by Kay Greenlees.  When bought, probably in the early 2000's, it had been forgotten as it didn't have a recipe for making a useful sketchbook.  But having now done a lot more investigation into the topic, I read it with new eyes.

It says from the start that each artist has to find their own method of documenting their own specific journey, in whatever what way serves them best. Then it discusses, documents, and gives examples of techniques that other artists have found useful.  OMG!  I get it! Each artist-their own method-in whatever way works!  Just as I have been doing all along.  The actual ability to create a beautiful, artistic looking sketch has nothing to do with it.  Go your own way--but do it!

I plan to link this with Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays.


No comments: