Monday, July 29, 2019

A whole new world

I've started working my way through the  Marie Shell book that I mentioned in my last post.  This is turning into a somewhat scary task--and I do use the term "task", as it relates to the concept of "work".  This is my effort at making ruler free mat cut strips, as described in the second project in the book.

Here it is before I trimmed it and squared it off. I think I might have been too close to it for too long.  I thought the finished piece looked awful.

Then I squared it off, and looking through the view finder of my camera, thought  "Gosh this is not so bad."




Finally, I turned it 90 degrees, and immediately decided that this would be the way I would want to display it.


In the final analysis, there are still problems.  I think I need to go back to the lesson on selecting colours, as well as how she creates her squares.  I also notice that, in putting her example together, she accommodates different sizes of squares in her piecing.  I have been trimming mine to fit a little better. I also have to wonder if  my ruler free cut strips are too similar in width.  I really need to take a closer look at her examples, and figure out how she gets her piecing done.

I plan to link this with The Needle and Thread Network and Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday

No comments: