Sunday, July 14, 2019

I did it!

I managed to stitch together all of the squares in a box that I made.  It took some manipulating, and cursing, but I got it done.  I had hoped that the squares would "float" on the red background, and I think they do, to a certain extent.  This is certainly some thing I will try again in future.  And Yes, this has ended up as a fairly large piece--18" by 40".


This is the last project I'm doing for my workshop.  It has been quite an experience.  While I was free to become as involved as I chose to be, I felt that I needed to do as much as I could, given the amount it cost me, in terms of fabric, dye, and fees.  So the last 6 weeks have involved a frenzy of stitching almost every day.

This raises the question of whether I would ever take an internet workshop again.  I'm not sure.  The supply list required many yards of fabric, most of which I could hand dye, as I had the supplies on hand, and others that I had to purchase, spending almost $100.  Most of the purchased fabric wasn't used.  The dyed fabric, purposely in clear bright colours, as requested, wasn't really in large enough pieces, but even so, I only used about half of it.  What I ended up doing was going into my stash of darker prints to create a palette with enough value for the suggested class projects.

The overall subject of the class is one I expect I will pursue further.  I have already ordered a book off the internet on the subject ( not written by the author of the workshop).  While I recognize that the entire process is usually done entirely with solid, bright colours, I rather liked the effect I got using some of my prints, and will probably include them again.

No comments: