Thursday, August 29, 2019

Been awhile

But I'm just coming off eight days of computer problems with no internet access.  OMG!  How do we let ourselves get so reliant on these devices?

I'm still valiantly plodding along putting together pieces, for one single large piece to be quilted, using what I've learned in my self study  of improv piecing, over the summer.  But with fall fast approaching I felt that I needed to get a bit of Eco-printing done for an exhibition piece I plan to make over the winter in preparation for a gallery show next May.  My results were not good.  I had tried this technique twice before and got a few good prints using heavy water colour paper.  This time I used Prepared for Dying ( PFD) fabric, as instructed on the internet.  The first time I did three bundles, but tied them a little too tightly.  I checked one after boiling them the  proscribed two hours and it was very, very pale, so I left the other two bundles in for another three hours. These two were very dark, but with no recognizable leaf prints.  

So today, I did two more bundles, in a new bath.  One was slightly more loosely tied, and the other a lot more loosely tied.  The results weren't good with those either.  Out of the five bundles, I got one good usable print.  But the coloured fabric that came from the other bundles, may still be usable in creating a finished piece.  Here is the print I got and really like.


I guess I must have done something right, at some point.

No comments: