Friday, September 20, 2019

Finished!

The latest piece is finished--not yet quilted as I would need to have someone do that for me, but my part is done.  I have been working on this for about 6 weeks.  Every day 4-6 hours in the studio.  Lots of ripping out, but also lots of piecing.  After getting this far, I carefully pinned it to my design wall and measured it from opposite corners to opposite corners to see how badly off square it was.  Wow!  Square within 1/4".  After all of the work, and brain work, when I did the measuring for determining if it was square, and found it so close, I actually wept for a  moment or two.  I know that this is very much out of my comfort zone, and the whole thing has been a significant challenge to me.


It has finished at about 51" by 60", or will be that size when I stitch a narrow dark grey border on.  I think that this will make quilting much easier from a technical viewpoint.  Now I have quite a few scrap pieces of pieced bits sewn together, and then trimmed off various sections.  I plan to spend tomorrow taking those apart so they can be re-used.

I plan to link this with Nina-Marie Sayre's  Off the Wall Friday, and The Needle and Thread Network.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Just beautiful! And only a 1/4 of an inch off - wow! That's just incredible! Well done! I'd be crying tears of joy if I managed that too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, this is such a striking design! You should be very proud of this piece for sure. Happy Stitching from me.