Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Well--I promised pictures

What is going on now is much more a re-organization than a purge.  With the purging we've done over the past few months, this was almost a "sit down and take stock" activity.

This corner of my storeroom used to house a corner shelf made up of 4 small plastic triangular tables that we used to use at the lake for holding drinks etc when we were sitting outside.  They link together vertically to make a four tiered corner shelf.  But it was out of the way and didn't get used much at all.  I think I used to store balls of crochet cotton and a tub of plastic drinking straws on it.  ( the straws were used to make beads.)  Now I have all of those rolls of batting or fabric, and the pool noodles I use to roll my quilts on, in that space.  These used to be against a wall and were always falling over and creating a safety hazard.My spare ironing board and the plexiglas portable table for my sewing machine fit quite nicely in there as well.


The corner shelf itself has moved into  the main area of the studio, where it replaced a tv table with an Ott light on it, neither of which have been used in years.  It had been set up to provide light for my sewing machine from the rear.  I think the corner shelf  will be much more useful here, and I've already started storing my Teflon ironing sheets there.

I still have lots of empty shelves in the storeroom.


This little shelving unit used to have both the upper shelves covered in spools of thread.  I found a hanging basket for most of the thread.  This poor neglected rabbit is one I made years ago.  He was a very complicated project, utilizing quite a few different furry fabrics, to get exactly the type of fur rabbits should have.  He had been relegated to a dark corner of the room, quite unseen, unless one knew where to look.

I have five different rolling sets of drawers on wheels.  With the recent purge there were many empty drawers in most of them.  I managed to amalgamate three of them and ended up with two totally empty units.



   
And finally, I spent part of the afternoon sorting through my cd's.  Here are the discards, and the small table, seen above, is now gone.


With moving the rolls of batting etc, into the corner of the storeroom, and removing one rolling cabinet from the area, I had room against the wall to store my two boxes of rolled drawing paper, tracing paper, and freezer paper, etc.  This has created so much more room.  The antique wardrobe seen here is also now empty of everything except one rolled quilt.  Except we can't agree on what to do with it now.


The other thing we did today was bring in an electrician in to replace one of the Fluorescent light fixtures above my work table.  It had been broken when we had tried to replace a bulb.  I had thought that all of the Fluorescent bulbs were full spectrum bulbs, but as soon as he turned the new light on, we realized that they weren't.  He also replaced the light bulb  in one of the incandescent fixtures in the non-studio end of the basement.  Oh My! What a difference.  He is going to come back to add a third incandescent fixture in that area, as, up until now, the area has been too dark to do anything in.
I'm thinking I might bring in another sturdy table and make that area my cutting area.  We are also seriously thinking of moving the two heavy duty storage shelving units presently in the studio area, into the other end of the basement, so as to give me more working area around my sewing machine and iron. 

So lots of changes being considered around here.  

1 comment:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, you really had a lot of things accumulated over the years. Must feel so wonderful to have it cleared out and especially with brighter lights too. Lighting is so important at any age but esp. ours. LOL But now you have space for new stuff!
I also clean when I'm upset.
Anyway, happy stitching and improv from me!