Friday, July 30, 2021

Changing gears

After the frenzy of  more traditional quilting I spoke of last week, I dove into another frenzy, this time of painting and mono-printing fabric, in preparation for future, more creative, or art-y work.  This is more physically demanding work than I've done is quite awhile, and my husband and I spent some time figuring out how to make it less tiring on me.  So I worked in my studio, instead of out of doors.  This meant transforming the studio from a "dry" studio to a "wet" one.  This was much less demanding that carrying all of my supplies out to the garage and setting up tables, etc. out there.  I could also leave everything in  place over night rather than transporting it all back inside so the car could be garaged, over night. It then allowed me to work slowly over several days, rather than trying to do it all in one. The first day I got about 14 pieces painted, the second about 6, and the third about 10.  In the past I've made  +or - twenty, in a one day marathon, once or twice a year, which would set me up for work, over several months.  

The actual technique changed this time, mainly as a result of the on-line courses I've taken over the past 15 months.  I put much more planning into each piece, and chose to work mainly in sets of two or three pieces related by colour, with future piecing or collage in mind. I also worked with the expectation of adding future surface design, once the basic colouring was completed and dry.  I also chose a few hand dyed pieces, for additional surface work.

Here are some of the results. There is a third piece coloured to go with these two

This was a previously dyed piece that I tried to over print.  Didn't work well.



This is a series of hand-carved stamps that I hope to be able to use in collages.

This is worked with bubble wrap, but I found a large 1" size bubble which ended up looking almost like lips.  The second one is a shadow print, made by printing with the same paint after the first print has been made..


These are painted with the same colours, believe it or not.  


This is a lino-block print made with two different colours mixed on the same palette( red and fuchsia)


A cleanup rag, but I see possibilities in it


And finally, yesterday's work.  as you can see I was looking much more for pastels, that could take future surface work.  But still keeping with at least two of the same colour for future possibilities.





No comments: