Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Re-thinking the problem

The problem of the White on White Quilt has continued to bother me.  I had an idea of how it might be used in some assembled fibre/mixed media project, even if it had to be dyed, but then had a lot of trouble trying to come up with the right sort of  design.  I also found some very obvious black marks on the front of it.  So the quilting was finished, and the result disappointing. I washed and blocked the quilt, got rid of the black marks, but then decided that there was no way it would be useful in any future projects. Rather the design itself could be re-worked, should a project come to mind.  The problem was as described in the last post--a poor choice of batting, leading to very poor  visual discrimination of the various quilted motifs.  But it could still be useful as a utility quilt for a small child.  So to the donation pile it goes, once  some binding is added.

Here is a basic view of the finished quilt that shows how poor the loft is in the quilted motifs. 

This shows a better image, but required special lighting for the effect to be seen


Here are the hand drawn patterns that were used.  I must confess that once I got going, I used these more as suggestions than actual designs to be perfectly followed.  Since I was limited by a 4" width to the rows, the planned Victorian feather design, was very much tamed down, to the extent that may even be lost.  

My next step may be re-doing the Victorian feathers, but with a wider row, producing long strips of FMQ'g to be inserted in larger designs.

No comments: