Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Taking stock

Time to figure out where I am in my "sabbatical". I've been having great fun, I have a few paintings that are okay, but only as a measure of my learning curve, but I haven't actually produced a piece of fibre work in about 4 months, although I did quilt and mount two gelatine prints that I made while demonstrating the technique. For the last month I've been working on "Twilight Snowfall", but have now found out that it may not be accepted for the exhibition, as I plan to make the bottom edge irregular. Last night I spent some time looking at it, as I could still square off the bottom, to make it "legal", but then I would be compromising my artistic vision. This isn't a quandry I've had to face before. I have e-mailed the show organizer to ask for some guidance in this, but haven't yet heard back. I really think my answer will be to proceed as I planned, and accept that I'm giving up a chance at a major exhibiiton, should I not make it through the jury process. In reality, this is what artists face every time they enter a competition, and they rarely have the opportunity to modify a vision in advance.

The other reason that I may be non-productive is that I'm feeling great guilt when I look around and see how my housework is being neglected. Or maybe it's just that I'm busy perfecting my ability to procrastinate.

No comments: