Sunday, October 2, 2022

Glad to say I've settled down

 There's nothing like a bit of a shock to make one "sit up and take notice".  Following my little "freak out' as described in the previous post, I concentrated on relaxing over hand stitching, for a bit.  I worked hard on my Frigid Sanctuary box.  The problem there was that I didn't have a clear vision of the finished project, and ended up picking out sections, and re-doing them as I experimented with a different design or technique.  I even resorted to using glue!  Please don't tell anyone.  (Note to self:  try things out first, on a "doodle cloth", as you were taught to do many, many years ago)  I was working on the last bit of stitching, sewing the base to the top section, when my right wrist said "Enough!"  This meant several days of using a wrist brace and a prescription ointment I have, and no hand stitching. But the box is now finished.  This is one of those cases of "Done in better than perfect".  It is not perfect, and I know in my heart that I couldn't exhibit it, nor try to sell it for my usual box price.  But I have found a place to show it in a sale situation, at a lower price.  This price may be still too high for the piece to sell, but I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I tried.


Having managed this hurdle, what comes next?  Perhaps a temporary escape into past successes and try a bit of precision piecing. A few years ago, I started a commercial pattern "Long Time Gone" by Jen Kingwell.  I did okay, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through, until I got to a section on mini-log cabin blocks.  I just couldn't stitch them well enough, and put the whole thing away.  I still have it, and it has been preying on my mind.  My new sewing machine seems to be quite good at precision piecing, and I believe there are good instructions in the manual.  Maybe I need to give this a try.

No comments: