Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Progress report

My blue and silver piece is coming along just fine, thank you for asking. I'm progressing slowly, about 2 hours each evening. I have a big sale this weekend and may take it along to work on during slow times. I like to be busy at sales. It brings people to the booth, at least. I did another piece yesterday. This was a technique out of Stitches magazine involving silk paper and brown paper painted with planned colours (including metallics), and then fusible web, painted in an associated colour, attached to the brown paper. You pile up a layer of muslin, two layers of painted brown paper, your silk paper, and a design marked on tracing paper. Pin it all together and machine stitch along all of the lines of the design at least twice. Are you confused yet? Then parts of the design are cut away to reveal one of the layers of painted brown paper. Once you have cut away as much as you wish, the whole thing is pressed to fuse it all together,and then embellished with beads or whatever. I am very pleased with the result. Colour choice is essential for success, and since this is an area I've been struggling with, it's something I need to play with and get more comfortable with. I want to do more of these, and then maybe mount them for framing. I need to make more silk paper, but need to buy more silk roving for that. It may be awhile.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

Glad to see that you're blogging more often.