Sunday, July 8, 2007

This hasn't been a terribly good week, or month, for that matter. We had not one but two plumbing emergencies in June, then my toaster oven went, followed by my microwave. This week we went down to check on a small property we own. We wanted to check the small outbuilding where we sleep. Well, the vapour barrier over the ceiling insulation was absolutely full of the carcasses of dead beetles. I've never seen so many in one spot before. There were thousands. We also found that mice had got in over the winter and had pulled the stuffing out of our bed to use for nests. So DH carried all of the furniture out onto the grass and started to pull down the vapour barrier with the idea of getting rid of the insulation. Then he discovered that a small colony of bats had moved in over the winter. Well, we cleaned up as best we could, pulled all of the curtains down to bring home to wash, and were doing a final vacuum before moving the furniture back in, when I looked up and realized that there were holes in the roof. I could see daylight. We hadn't noticed until the insulation was taken out. So we're now looking at replacing the roof, the bed and all of the bedding. We also have to patch every small hole we can find anywhere to keep the bats and mice out. This is going to be very, very expensive. As well, since we can't afford to hire someone to do it, we will have to do all the work ourselves. We came home and were feeling very sorry for ourselves, when I noticed a puddle of water by the fridge. That's right, now we have to have the fridge repaired. It's only 18 months old and just off warrantee. What's more we are having a family reunion in early August, with part of the gathering going to be at the cottage--so we can't delay getting the work done. I guess this means we'll be serving our guests macaroni without the cheese. I feel so sorry for myself that I haven't set foot outside since we got home Thursday evening. I can only think of the old saying. "Take one day at a time",--- but I now know that sometimes the days gang up on you.

No comments: