Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Playing

As promised, I've spent the last couple of days playing, and I've ended up making grocery bags. Yes, grocery bags! I needed a few more cotton bags and have found that the bags are the perfect place to try out all of the wonderful techniques I'm getting out of library books. It really doesn't matter if the design turns out, because-- who cares on a grocery bag? So far I've experimented with colouring a simple graphic design and then spritzing it with a little water to see which colours run and which don't and the effects you get from the blend of colours. I've learned not to use too much colour as you just end up with ugly blobs. Using rubber stamps is tricky. If the stamp doesn't take, the image disappears under another layer of colour wash. If you reinforce the image with india ink, the ink can run even if it's heat set ( that one was a surprise!) Next on the list is playing with pure colour washes to see how the blending effect emerges. Then I'll maybe add a couple of layers of black design. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: