Monday, February 7, 2011

Hit "upside the head" by the muse

In my painting class, the next week's project is to "bring a picture that you feel passionate about" to use as inspiration for a painting. In my search for such a picture, I came across an image taken from a magazine of stepping stones under still water. Thinking back, this concept of stones under water has been at the back of my mind for several years, since spending time on a Cuban beach in 2002. I've tried, with varying success, to create the something from this, working in paint, dye and fibre. I had, more or less, forgotten those experiments over the last few years, but now they are back in mind. I wonder if I can use what I've learned, in painting class, about creating value, to colour fabric. I can see using gradation dyeing as the basic technique. I would also have to dye some strips of fabric, lengthwise, that would be half of each of two consecutive dye concentrations. This would allow for value changes within smaller applique pieces.

I think dyeing,or even fabric painting, if it comes to that, would be within my physical ability,, and I'm sure I have the supplies I would need. So now all I have to find is the energy.

No comments: