Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shot down!

The painting instructor didn't want me to pursue the stepping stones. She felt it was too close to my comfort zone. So we've selected another picture--not one of mine but rather one of my sister's. ( Beth, do I have permission to play with one of your pictures?) This is really out of my comfort zone, but I'm in the class to learn so will forge ahead. It is a portrait of my husband. We've agreed that we can abstract it a bit, if my technical skill isn't up to an accurate representational piece.

But I'm still wanting to try the stepping stones in a fibre context. I've been thinking about the gradation dyeing and wondering if I might to have better control if I were to use fabric paints instead. I want there to be a value change within the outlines of the stepping stones and not just between them--which would be too easy and a bit contrived, IHMO. Actually the final result might be a combination of the two.

Yesterday I was given permission to use my arm a bit more ( I start physio on Monday). There are still restrictions, and I'm still to wear the sling when the arm is tired or painful, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Today, I want to get into the studio and clean up a bit, so that I can actually start the fabric painting, for the stepping stones. I also have to make some fabric paper for a class at the end of the month. None of these three tasks will require fine co-ordinnation, so might very well be the first step in getting myself going.

1 comment:

Dianne Leatherdale Johnson said...

I cleaned off my big table so I can do some snow dyeing...does that count as studio cleanup?
Dianne