Monday, November 9, 2015

New work

I haven't posted any pictures of the newest piece, as I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, and many shows will not accept work that has appeared on the internet.  Well, this piece won't be going to any big shows, although I may enter it into next spring's show with the local guild. I have talked aobut it in previous blogs,but here is a precis 

I am calling it "Winter Sky".  I think that if there is any ongoing theme to my work it is "Winter" and "snow".  I have been trying to teach myself dyeing in a mandala pattern,but when this came out of the dye bath, my heart sank. I had used Olive green, Burgundy, Brick, and a mix of brown and black dye. Obviously I should have used more dye.  But the more I looked at the  cloth, the more I saw things like a sun and clouds.  I used Trapunto in the central area to emphasize the sun, and then used straight machine stitched lines to represent the rays of the sun.  The darkest clouds looked heavier, so I used a FMQ'g in a design of curved lines, to accent the weight I felt.  The lighter clouds were FMQ'd using a more frivolous spiral design.  ( after all, all of my FMQ'g has a spiral somewhere).  The sun was then beaded.

And here are the pictures.




So--what's next you ask?
I have so many ideas, and none of them jumping out and shouting "me, me". I am in the middle of smaller piece ( about 12" by 12")that uses dyed wool roving and Duipioni silk, and have a hunch that I'll be making a series of 12" by 12" pieces, not necessarily in related topics.  Some of them may come from re-worked previous pieces.

No comments: