Monday, November 2, 2015

Well,-----

Not much luck with "The Whore of Babylon".  It seems that this is  a general symbol for the Antichrist, and not much more.  A very complex visual image--one that would be very difficult to utilize in fibre art.  

More luck with "The Green Man".  I finally managed to get hold of the book "The Green Man"by Kathleen Basford. (D.S. Brewer, 1998)  A very detailed history of the image.  I think it might have been written as some sort of academic thesis.  I find myself keeping the dictionary close to checkout the meaning of some of the big words. A lot of the discussion about symbolism tends to be mostly conjecture, but I think that would be true of any discussion on such an ancient symbol.  Fortunately, the most of the book consists of images of The Green Man or The Foliate Man, many of which are found in church or temple architecture.  This is exactly the sort of image that works well in fibre.  I already have some ideas about how to present it, technically

No comments: