Saturday, March 5, 2016

Still making decisions

A few decisions have been made, but these always lead to more.  As I'm working, I realize that the hand made beads are going to work so well, that I have to make more.  That's done.  As part of my thinking process, I spent some time going through the "junk" that I have stored in the basement.  Specifically, I was looking for anything in a cherry red that might possible be used. A normal part of my process is to gather anything that might have a remote possibility of being used and then wean the collection down slowly, as I work.  I found several threads, some ribbon, and one treasure.  A ball of knitting yarn in gold, black and cherry red.  As soon as I saw it, most of the design came together in my head.  Now to see if it will actually work.

So, it became obvious that some sort of basic shape will be needed to anchor the thread work.  An open circle has served me well in the past.  These anchors are often made from two layers of heavy duty, fusible interfacing, fused back to back and then cut into shapes.  This works as long as I can use the rotary cutter, but more complex shapes have to be cut by hand, and my elderly, arthritic hands are no longer capable of this.  But I can cut a single layer, so cut twice as many as I need and then fuse them after cutting.  More about these later.

Here we have the the flat quilted shape, with cream silk fused, and a grid sewn over,  in black polyester embroidery thread, ( a bit of shine) both to hold it on and provide a bit of colour

A row of black and gold trim has been sewn to the bottom of the basic box, as well as the lower edge of the roof pieces.


The hook and loop tape closure has been added to the side of the roof that will act as a lid.  And you can see the open circles being cut out.

No comments: