Tuesday, March 1, 2016

New Project

The reliquaries are calling to me, so I've decided to make a new one and document the process.  The inspiration for these came from . the book, "Beginners Guide to Embroidered Boxes" by Janet Edmonds.  This book was almost an epiphany for me, and I am so appreciative of her sharing her tried and true techniques for producing these little beauties.   I very much respect her creativity, and have tried to make a point of drafting my own patterns and designs, rather than copying any of her creative ideas, even while adopting many of the techniques described in the book.

A couple of years ago I was able to purchase some yardage of Duppioni silk, with the intent of turning it into reliquaries.  From the three pieces, I chose the one that would lend itself to embellishment based on a rich gold colour.  Then I drafted a pattern.  Based on the pattern size, I prepared the basic quilted fabric.  this is a top layer of the silk, an layer of heavy interfacing, and a layer of felt.  I quilt every half inch in one direction, and then every half inch at a 45 degree angle.  Most of this stitching is hidden under the embellishment, and won't show on the finished piece, but I still chose a coordinating thread--Superior Fantastico, colour # 5001.



 Then the pattern is laid out and cut.
This leaves me with a lot of machine quilted fabric, that I hate to just throw out.  One of my favourite creative exercises is figuring out how to use these remnents.  I'll think of something.


1 comment:

LA Paylor said...

yes you will. I would never throw them out! Even the smallest piece can have a bead on it, a hand stitch, a stamped image.
LeeAnna