Sunday, November 25, 2018

Producing, but not entirely happy with it.

Just doing a bit more "navel gazing", I guess.  Lately I've had the opportunity to view a couple of fibre art shows, both in person and on line.  My work seems  little "blah", in comparison, or is this, maybe, just my normal lack of self confidence?  I have two pieces on the go.  They are quite similar, but also different enough to be, maybe, a series.  I've almost finished the FMQ'g on one, and it appears lacking.  My usual  first response to this problem is--add beads.  My worry, this time, is that it won't be enough.  Giving it further thought, the issue may be that the result didn't meet my original vision, but, at the same time, maybe it has developed a "vision" of its own.  If that's the case, then perhaps, I should be spending a little more time in the planning process, and rely less on serendipity.

Many of the on line resources push the idea of sketch books.   I use a sketch book, but mainly to record my ideas, with some notes about size, materials etc, not for the development of ideas.  I also try to keep a record of the various techniques I try out, and the results.  I'm not very good at being consistent with that.  None the less, I have made a vow to explore the use of sketch books, as a design aid.

Another issue is that I'm so comfortable with such a range of techniques, that I've never really developed a recognizable "voice".  I'm not sure I care too much about that, as I'm usually more challenged with the availability of multiple techniques, but this doesn't allow me to revert to "tried and true" when I get into trouble.  That being said, I've been told, but only by a few, that they recognize my work by the elegance and simplicity of design.  I'm not sure whether this is a compliment or not.

Right now, while physically working on my two pieces mentioned above, My brain is searching for the kernel of an idea in response to the latest call for entries from FAN.  Small ( 7 by 10) pieces using the specific design components of lines and circles.  At least the design process of something that small will fit in my sketch book.

No comments: