Monday, November 1, 2010

New direction

For awhile now, I've been hearing about artists who attach a fibre piece to a painted stretched canvas--so I decided to try it. I have a painted canvas and the fibre piece, and plan to spend today completing the technical part of attaching the two. I have put them both in conjunction and I'm quite pleased with the appearance. I have to confess that I'm not totally pleased with the quilting and edge finishing on the fibre piece, but, as this is experimental, I'm going to proceed. I'll use this piece to solve the technical problems, before moving onto a second piece that I plan to treat in the same way. The second fibre piece is much more pleasing, and I want to make sure everything is perfect with it, each step of the way. If either of them prove to be successful, I plan to put them in a gallery show next February.
My other task for the day is to start the designing of a piece for the "Canadian Content" show that will be going to New Zealand next spring. The entry deadline is January, so there really isn't that much time. There is another show in April 2011, with a slightly later deadline, that I hope to enter as well. But one thing at a time.

No comments: