Sunday, November 7, 2010

OMG! I'm at it again!

More introspection! Today, I'm at the point of saying that I accept that I'll never set the world on fire, that my work will never sell for $$$. So where do I go from here? I think I just carry on, carrying on. But maybe I'll do things I want to do and not care if they join my "crap quota". Maybe I'll spend time visiting galleries and enjoy the art rather than trying to analyze what is successful about it, and why it's there in the gallery and mine isn't. I've certainly learned that who you know and being in the right place at the right time are more important, in securing gallery space, than how sincere your work is. I've also learned that while I may pretend that I'm working in series, I haven't really had a new conceptual piece in several years--just several pieces all based on the same few concepts. That doesn't mean that I'm going to stop being obsessed with snow, snowdrifts and blown snow.

I've been trying to start a new piece for an exhibition whose theme is "Canadian Content". I've been lying awake at night with ideas going through my head, trying to meld what I believe they want, with what I believe I can do well. So I've been trying to get out of my box and design something very, very different than what I would normally do. Yes, a couple of ideas came out, but I wasn't happy with them, they didn't interest me, and I felt that my technical skills weren't good enough to produce something worth exhibiting--especially in what may turn out to be an international exhibit. So at this point I've started working on a piece that has its basis in snow, and is technically similar to My "Inua-Spirit in the Wind", but with an added twist--a melding of what I consider my strengths. I will go back to the ideas that I couldn't work with, and play with them in the privacy of the studio, without any expectation that any one else in the world will ever see them.

No comments: